Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Philanthropist

The Philanthropist was perfect on the outside - handsome, wealthy, and generous. But on the inside he had plans of his own. The Philanthropist was going to detonate at least one kilo of explosives in a very concentrated area. If He was caught in the blast, He would no doubt be killed unceremoniously. Bottlecap and Firefly were ready to take another life, and Firefly especially was thirsty.

The Philanthropist would be hosting a fancy party late in the evening, and I had acquired an invitation. It was going to be my first party in quite a while. The grounds were crowded with men in suits and women in fluffy, artificial dresses. Several small children and animals, sometimes hard to distinguish between, rushed around amongst the feet of the adults, diving in the pool and knocking over waiters. The Philanthropist was about to start his speech when I arrived in a skeleton costume - the attire of his servants. Just as he had spoken the first few words I moved in close to him and informed him of the situation unfolding in the kitchen. He nodded and dismissed himself from the podium, walking briskly towards the house. Silently, invisibly, I slipped in after him. Perhaps one of the poodles saw me.

Once inside I knocked him over the head with a rolling pin and dragged him into the nearest small, dark room. He seemed to be not fully unconscious, but that would soon change for good. I thrust Firefly into the Philanthropist's neck, and Bottlecap into his stomach. He coughed, once, and lay his head back. I closed his eyes for him and gave my usual respects. Then I draped a large trenchcoat over him and made for the exit.

-Amontillado

No comments:

Post a Comment